Licensing/Registration Key Definitions

Trade Waste: “Trade waste” or “waste” shall means: (1) all putrescible and non-putrescible materials or substances, except as described in paragraph (2) of this subdivision, that are discarded or rejected by a commercial establishment required to provide for the removal ofits waste pursuant to section 16-116 of the Code asbeing spent, useless, worthless or in excess tothe owners at the time of such discard or rejection, including but not limited to garbage, refuse, street sweepings, rubbish, tires , ashes, contained gaseous material, incinerator residue,construction and demolition debris, medical waste, offal and any other offensive or noxious material. Such term shall also include recyclable materials as defined in subdivision i of section16-303 of the Code that are generated by such commercial establishments. (2) The following are not “trade waste” or “waste” for purposes of this chapter: sewage; industrial wastewater discharges; irrigation return flows; radioactive materials that are source, special nuclear or by-product material as defined by the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended, 41 U.S.C. § 2011 et seq.; materials subject to in-situ mining techniques which are not removed from the ground as part of the extraction process; and hazardous waste as defined in section 27-0901 of the Environmental Conservation Law.

Licensees: A business that collects, removes, or disposes of trade waste from commercial establishments must first obtain a license from BIC before engaging in such business or activity. Upon grant of a license, the business is legally permitted to collect, remove, and dispose of all types of waste.

Registrations for the Removal of Construction and Demolition Debris: A business solely engaged in the removal of waste materials resulting from building demolition, construction, alteration, or excavation is required to obtain a construction and demolition registration from BIC before engaging in the waste removal activity. This also applies to construction and demolition companies who remove their own waste materials resulting from building demolition, construction, alteration, or excavation. This registration is known as a C & D registration.

Self-Hauler Registrations: A business that removes waste generated in the course of its own business must obtain a self-hauler registration from BIC. 

Trade Waste Broker Registrations: A trade waste broker who brokers agreements between business customers and private carters for waste removal services or conducts evaluations or analyses of waste generated by the customers to recommend cost efficient means for the customers must first be registered with BIC.